Variable Modifiers - Strange Behavior
Twice this week (and at least once during early access) I have experienced an issue where variable modifiers suddenly stop working correctly.
The first time it occurred this week, a variable modifier set to "Add 1" would not affect the variable the first time it was pulsed. After the failed initial pulse, it seemed to work every time. When comparing the working scene to the bugged version, there appeared to be no changes that involved this set of logic.
In the second instance (shown in the screenshot) the variable modifier set to "Get" was outputting an incorrect value. The only solution I could find was to delete the "problematic" gadget and stamp a new one to replace it.
I just wanted to check in and see if you are still encountering the issue you raised in the post?
The screenshot was taken in:
The issues I had with several gadgets from this scene were resolved by stamping "fresh" gadgets to replace the originals. I haven't seen this happen recently, but I haven't been using many variables lately.
I think the Dream Enigma_0123 described in his comments was "Twin Stick Symphony" (https://indreams.me/dream/mBXzjvtsjHt)
AdminQA Team (QA, Media Molecule) commented
Thank you for reporting the issue, could you please provide us with a link to the level this is occurring in?
I just got an instance where the variable's actual value was 11,041.90 but the value from the modifier was 14,991.85. I don't know if those values give any insight into the problem but I thought I'd share them regardless.
I've also gotten a glitched GET modifier, and can confirm it is indeed broken and not a case of the value being scaled somewhere via a blend mode. If I place a new modifier right next to the broken one it is immediately apparent that they are not returning the same value. If I cycle through some of the other variables in the scene, they show the correct values, but when I go back to the broken variable it shows the wrong value again. However, if I loop all the way through every variable in the scene and return to the broken variable, it now shows the correct value.
It does indeed tend to return half of the correct value, but I know sometimes it will give a value maybe 50% higher than it should be (I didn't record the exact values at the time). I wish I had a reliable way to reproduce the bug, but for now you'll just have to trust us.
For the GET, looks like one displayer is showing about half of the other one. Make sure the wire blend mode is set to overwrite (looks like a plug), and not modulate (X). Use L1 + X to cycle through the blend modes on the input nub.