Variable modifiers 'get' outputting *half* of the variable value
Hey all :)
I've come across an issue that has affected all of the variable modifiers set to get a specific variable that has made them all output half of the variable value. There's no blend modes on either. It's similar to the issue described here:
and it's in the same scene where i reported my previous variable modifier issue here:
It happened just randomly i think this morning when i re-opened the scene i've been working on. I think the last thing i did to the scene was change the variables 'initial value' then save and quit.
I've got a video of the trouble here showing what's going on:
Replacing the variable modifiers (even copying the broken ones and replacing them with the copy) fixes the issue. but you do need to replace all modifiers that were referencing the variable at the time.
I've saved an online private version of the level if you might be able to run some magic tools over it to see what's going on, it's called 'remind 2' and has the description of 'variable modifier bug' or something very similar. All of the variable modifiers referencing the 'damage' variable are broken except for one in this version.
If you need any more information at all please let me know :)
Have a great day,
We’re still tracking this issue but need your help in solving it. If you get the chance we’d really appreciate a response to our earlier comment!
I have posted my reply in this thread to consolidate the discussion:
It includes a video and an indreams link to an element which currently has this issue.
I have isolated the bug by remixing my scene and saved it online as an element called "Bugged Variable Modifier" (https://indreams.me/element/oBVygQASkVj). In case it is necessary to look at the original scene for any reason, I have added notes to specify which version has been remixed. (Saved 4/26/2020 - 2:29)
Since the element is saved as private, here is a clip for any readers other than Mm: https://youtu.be/iN1xSI4QoDo (multiple attempts to post with an attached file did not work...)
Hey there I’m very sorry for the delayed response! Would be awesome if we could get email notifications for replies to these 😉
The issue is still occurring in the version i saved a while back, it’s labelled as ‘Bugged difficulty variable modifier’ under the game ‘Re-mind Re-mastered’, and the scene with the version is called ‘remind 2’.
The two numbers up the top left in the image are plugged into two different variable modifiers referencing the same ‘difficulty’ variable. (These will be open on the screen when you open the version)
One is displaying 1.5 and the other is displaying 2, and they should both be displaying 2 :)
Let me know if I can provide any more info at all
The screenshot was taken in:
The issues I had with several gadgets from this scene were resolved by stamping "fresh" gadgets to replace the originals. I haven't seen this happen recently, but I haven't been using many variables lately.
I think the Dream Enigma_0123 described in his comments was "Twin Stick Symphony" (https://indreams.me/dream/mBXzjvtsjHt)
I just wanted to check in and see if you are still encountering the issue you raised in the post?
Thank you for reporting the issue, could you please provide us with a link to the level this is occurring in?
Thank you for reporting the issue, could you please provide us with the dream this is occurring in so we can see what could be causing this to happen?
Could it be something to do with the persistent value getting stuck or messed up by the change of initial value? I dunno, just throwing out ideas.
Some gadgets can get their state sorta stuck if you play time, the state changes, then clone it without rewinding. Don't know if that could make any difference here?
The video is set to private.
I just got an instance where the variable's actual value was 11,041.90 but the value from the modifier was 14,991.85. I don't know if those values give any insight into the problem but I thought I'd share them regardless.
I've also gotten a glitched GET modifier, and can confirm it is indeed broken and not a case of the value being scaled somewhere via a blend mode. If I place a new modifier right next to the broken one it is immediately apparent that they are not returning the same value. If I cycle through some of the other variables in the scene, they show the correct values, but when I go back to the broken variable it shows the wrong value again. However, if I loop all the way through every variable in the scene and return to the broken variable, it now shows the correct value.
It does indeed tend to return half of the correct value, but I know sometimes it will give a value maybe 50% higher than it should be (I didn't record the exact values at the time). I wish I had a reliable way to reproduce the bug, but for now you'll just have to trust us.
For the GET, looks like one displayer is showing about half of the other one. Make sure the wire blend mode is set to overwrite (looks like a plug), and not modulate (X). Use L1 + X to cycle through the blend modes on the input nub.
Twice this week (and at least once during early access) I have experienced an issue where variable modifiers suddenly stop working correctly.
The first time it occurred this week, a variable modifier set to "Add 1" would not affect the variable the first time it was pulsed. After the failed initial pulse, it seemed to work every time. When comparing the working scene to the bugged version, there appeared to be no changes that involved this set of logic.
In the second instance (shown in the screenshot) the variable modifier set to "Get" was outputting an incorrect value. The only solution I could find was to delete the "problematic" gadget and stamp a new one to replace it.