Dreams "How Do I?" šŸ¤”

Dreams is jam-packed full of incredible tools to let your imagination run wild. There are many things to discover and learn. If you have a question about anything in Dreams, here’s the place to search for answers. If you can’t find what you’re looking for, then you’re in the right place to post your question.

1. Storing compressed data in variables?

Sorry if it was answered before. Couldn't find it.

So, let's say, I want to store 4 numbers in one persistent variable (1234) then split them into separate numbers and use them to other things.

How can I do that? If I wire a variable to a splitter, there's many things but not number splitting.

Also, are there any good/known ways of compressing data in persistent variables? I would be grateful. Thanks!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Sign in with: Sony Entertainment Network
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Weā€™ll send you updates on this idea

17 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  2. How to make a moveable object smaller using a keyframe?

Hi dreamers!

I have been confused about scaling a moveable object using a keyframe.

I am trying to make a sphere smaller as it rolls along. To do this, I do the following:
    1. Use a rotation sensor to get the overall angular velocity;
    2. Put its output through a signal manipulator to clamp an angular velocity of 10m/s to an output of 1;
    3. Put this output into a timer set to "speed", so that the ball will get smaller quicker when it rolls faster;
    4. This output is then put into the keyframe, which is the scaled downā€¦

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  3. Timeline speed

Anyone know how to control the speed of a timeline that is connected to a controller sensor by the left stick. I used a signal manipulator and set it to smoothing only but its not giving me what I want. The signal slowly fades in then speed up then slow down again, thats not what I want. There are 2 keyframes on the timeline that causes a sculpture to move from left to right when the timeline is activated with the left stick. I want the sculpture to move from left to right with a constant and steady speed, notā€¦

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  4. Is there a way to make a running total score, while not allowing cheating?

I realise I can use a persistent variable to track a 'total score', but does does not prevent someone from going back to a previous level in the dream and replaying it to add more to that value.

The only solution I can see is to have 30 variables (one for each level) and then the 'total' is just the sum of those variables, but I think I might just not have a total score at all because that's too much work for little gain.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  5. How to make a character select screen

This is a bit of a weird one. I am needing to make a character select screen. A way to pick how many players, 2-4. Everyone would be using one controller as it is turn based.

https://feedback.indreams.me/forums/917434-dreams-how-do-i/suggestions/40353004-make-it-switch-to-next-player

This link is to a mess of info in case you wanna read a bunch of nonsense that's pretty well figure out by now about the game and how it will work for reference. Warning: It's a lot of reading.

I have no idea where to start with this. I thought about making different scenes for 2 players, 3, and 4 but thenā€¦

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  6. How do I multiple Signal Receiver

If I have 2 or more signal receivers / transmitters sending different values using the same name. Because they need to be cloned. One is outputting 1.00 and the other is 3.00 and since both of the receivers need to be overlapping. The resulting signal isn't multiplied. It's actually in between so a 1.50

So is there a way to have it multiple sending a 4.00 instead of the 1.50?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  7. Walking backwards

I'm working on a dragging animation. The character has to be able to walk backwards whenever he's dragging something, no matter what direction. Any simple way to do this?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  8. Stop emitted object moving?

How do we stop an already emitted object from moving? For example I want it to stop after a few seconds or if the emitted object detects a wireless signal.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  9. Guiding the puppet's direction (cover system)

Is it possible to gently guide the puppet to walk, for example a straight line without totally preventing the player from walking to other directions? I'm not a huge fan of cover systems where the player gets sucked onto a wall and can't get released until pressing a button. The Last of Us, Tomb Raider and Metal Gear Solid 5 (for example) fixed this by letting the player get pulled against walls in a soft manner. The player can easily overcome the 'pulling' or 'gluing' force by pointing the analog stick away from the wall.

I've tried many methods likeā€¦

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  10. Make it switch to next player

This is a bit of a weird one I think and yes I'm at trying something different again and of course I gotta run into issues and not know what I'm doing.

So anyhow...... I'm trying to make a trivia game. My thought is to make a puppet move as sort of a playing piece whenever you get a correct answer. I made one trivia question as a test and wired the correct response to a microship which has my "move a block away" logic in it. Mission accomplished, If I answer correctly I have it move one block ahead,ā€¦

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  11. Issues with possession and controls

So I'm having an issue with my vehicle possession. I have a twisted metal style combat arena with 6 AI vehicles and one player vehicle. The player's controller is set up to be force possessed. However, on occasion during combat and especially when I shut the player's microchip off and back on again for cut-scene purposes, the vehicle will act like it's possessed (the camera is fixed on the player's vehicle and everything in the microchip is on as usual) but it will not recognize any player inputs (none of the buttons work except for the control sticks to rotateā€¦

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  12. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  13. Pick a random activated tag

Hi!

I have 24 identically named tags, but not all are active at once. Is there a way I can get it to pick one of the active ones at random?

I felt like splitting the Number Detected field in a trigger zone would help, but that didn't give me anything I could use.

Thanks!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Two fold question.

I have two questions:

1. Is there any reference guide to how much thermo is used by each gadget? I am just curious how much thermo say a dialogue gadget uses.

2. Is there a way to organize the My creations section of dreamshaping?
      I tried making a collection but they still stay outside the collection in the main "My Creations" area also. Is there any way to make them just be in a collection and not take up space in the the main area?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Attached things to first person puppet are invisible

For some reason I'm having a problem with something that used to be simple. Basically I want to attach something to my first person puppet. I want it so that if I press say 'square' a hand will come into view and do an action. I've done this a few times simply enough by attaching a controller sensor to a timeline that powers on the hand which I've scoped onto my puppet.
    I don't know if things have changed since the update? but now when I try to attach anything to a puppet its invisible when in first person. Theā€¦

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  16. Create a button-controlled puppet from the open-mouth tutorial

I've followed the video on creating an opening and closing mouth. I want to turn this isn't a 'sock puppet' where I can move the head with the Move controller and open/close the mouth with a button. Following on from this thread to make a sock-pupet:

https://feedback.indreams.me/forums/917434-dreams-how-do-i/suggestions/39732100-create-a-puppet-object-that-can-be-controlled-di

I put a Controller Settings chip on the bottom jaw with Follow Imp and wire the button (L1) to the mouth open/close keyframes. When I take possession of the bottom-jaw in play mode, the button moves the top jaw but the top is completely misplaced inside the bottom jaw and opens/closes at theā€¦

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  17. Is it possible to stop a timeline (at any point by the player) and play it backward from that point? Or the other way around?

I'm trying to create a garage door that goes up and comes down. The easy way of doing this would be two separate timelines, activated by some button in the scene, that disable the button while they're being played, so that each animation can just to completion before the next interrupts it.

But I want the more realistic way: which is you could interrupt the animation at any time and play the other animation going the other way from exactly that point, so there's no interruption.

It's easy to play in reverse by using a count up and a countā€¦

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Controller Camera Ease-in-Out

Iā€™ve created Zones in my levels where I want to change the controller camera settings like camera distance and camera height. I donā€™t want to use a camera pointer as you lose camera control.

So Iā€™ve done the rig to remotely send a signal even got the new value sent across. But when I plug those values into the camera distance input, it basically jumps to the value, causing a camera glitch. I added a signal manipulator to the trigger zone using ease in and out on the advanced tab - but that didnā€™t work as expected as it seemsā€¦

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Type in purple text

There has been a trend going on for the past several days, where dreamers' texts have a purple font.

For those that do not know already, you can type in "<clue>", and the text cursor will turn purple, and everything you type afterwards will be in purple font.

Now go add some spice to your comments, and not make this esoteric!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  20. Adding descriptions to custom ports?

Is it possible to add descriptions to nodes so you can add information to circuits input/output ports?

A name and a picture can only show a small amount of information, having the ability to add your own info when hovering over inputs and outputs would greatly help in explaining what a custom circuit does.

Most gadgets in Logic&Processing already have descriptions for their inputs and outputs, all i need is the ability to add my own for custom circuits.

For example the Timer has an output called "Timer Finished (Pulse)" and its description is "Outputs a pulse (a very briefā€¦

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 155 156
  • Don't see your idea?

Dreams "How Do I?" šŸ¤”

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base