How Do I: move controllers mega thread
I know the tutorials for Move controllers aren't done yet, so I figured it would be nice to collaboratively put together all the essential Move controllers tidbits in one thread. If people contribute, I'll try to organize these into sections for easier reading.
So here's a start:
To open the edit menu, hold T on the left move controller.
To switch into cut mode when sculpting, tap the top of the left controller to the base of the right controller.
Hey guys, im having difficulty grouping objects together. I scultped a tree out of multiple parts and when i went to group it together using scope it automatically brings up my last stamp shape and wont allow me to select the individual objects to group. I'm holding triangle on secondary and pressing x on primary. Anyone else had luck with this?
I don't see a way we can setup a document with all our discovered controls and not mess up NDA so we really need Mm to setup a document on here we can fill in if they don't have time right now. Something where I don't have to sift through a long list of comments to get everything that has been posted.
You can't combine sculpts into a single sculpt if that's what you mean.
I have the same question as another guy but it didnt get answered. Sometimes when I try to sculpt or paint onto or add/subtract from another sculpture the whole world greys out and I cant edit it. How do I change this?
Can we change the colors of our move controller lights? Could you implement a quick color selection wheel for that somewhere? One for each controller of course.
If if isn't in the tutorial I probably wasn't able to figure it out. How to open up assembly with moves? I remembered how to mirror from streams that is about it.
Is there another way to rotate an object with moves besides just twisting the controller? This is inconvenient if you need to rotate it very far.
Good point @hawkian. Get used to adjusting and moving the camera a lot, and making gestures in multiple steps, to keep things comfortable and not awkward. Also setting your imp reach with the move buttons.
Also alternating between your hands with the grabcam to move around like you are climbing/crawling. Sound odd but that's the nearest I can equate it to.
It is a very different methodology to working with the Dualshock, but when you get used to it you will be amazed how ergonomic it can be. Just watch Kareem for an example. :-)
Man no wonder Kareem is such a Sculpt Jedi, I went back and watched the streams and noticed he moved so fast and didn’t even go into the menu so was like how in the hell is he pulling this off.
Btw Mm the primary controller top tapped to the secondary base for color picker is not working atleast for me anyways, not sure if anyone else is having that issue.
Thanks for the advice about doing a little controller waggling to identify where you are in space!
Start/Rewind time would be great to have a shortcut to as you have dedicated buttons for them on the DS4, but the assembly menu does work pretty great with the Moves at least.
For moving the camera around with the grabcam, definitely remember that moving your hand through the air is akin to panning/moving the world, while rotating or tilting your hand (keeping the controller in place and moving your wrist) will rotate the camera. You need to get used to grabbing and letting go, then regrabbing, to (for example) quickly turn the view around 180 degrees.
Bear in mind that you can twist OR tilt the controllers to activate the gestural stuff.
Start/Rewind Time are only accessible from the assembly menu I'm afraid.
Great advice @hawkian there are more moves tutorials being made but this approach will help you learn.
My advice with the grabcam is to pay attention to where you grab in space, and always remember to set your imp reach to the objects you're working with, so that they are at arms length.
Also, when you grab with the grabcam, just give the controller a little wiggle to get a better idea of exactly where you have grabbed in space.
You will get used to it, trust me ;-)
Thanks for making this thread! It's a great idea especially since many people (myself included) are probably using Move controllers for the first time with Dreams.
Moving the camera around with the Moves definitely takes some getting used to and is something of a skill in and of itself. While the tutorial does a good job of introducing how you "get around" in 3D space, I'm still wrapping my head around camera reorientation.
I recommend that you. Go through all 4 of the basic Start Dreaming tutorials with the DS4 as they intend, then go through the 1 motion controller tutorial that exists. Then, go back to the second tutorial and go through it as well as 3 and 4 with the Moves. It won't tell you the exact buttons/motions to use, but through context and the prompts on the imps you can figure things out. Getting through these using only the motion controls once you already know what the DS4 controls are doing in the same situation is extremely helpful toward getting the hang of things.
That undo/redo on the Moves is super clever but I never knew about it! No wonder it seemed to do one or the other randomly. Thanks!
Commonly used gestures for Moves in sculpt mode (some work in other modes too):
- Tap orbs together for non-uniform brush scale (secondary T to commit)
- Tap Secondary Orb to Primary base to toggle subtractive/additive
- Tap bases together to toggle mirror mode
- Tap primary orb to secondary base for colour picker
- Twist or tilt primary controller left/right and press square to undo/redo
- Hold secondary circle and twist/tilt for uniform scale
- Hold secondary x and twist/tilt for looseness
- - Hold secondary circle and twist/tilt for uniform scale
- Hold secondary square and twist/tilt for blend (press primary triangle while doing this to switch between soft/hard blend)
- Press triangle to toggle stamp/smear shape
- Press triangle when grabbing/moving to realign to grid
- double tap secondary circle when sculpting to go into spin shape mode. Grab and flick with secondary T to spin the shape, then paint to get spiral effects
If I think of more I'll let you know :-)
Anyone figured out how to start the auto rotation of a part when sculpting/smearing?
* How to rewind with the moves without going into assembly menu ?
* How to use up down camera view while possessing with the moves ?
* How to make appear the tool to group on the left move ?
so I love the moves so far
* we needs an option to invert camera specific for the moves and another for ds4 guys !
* press O on left move to resize the shape you were holding by approaching or distancing the top of the moves
* scaling as I understand it is a way to adapt the imps to the shape on a your screen and it allows you to move more efficiently in 3d BUT when you cancel the scaling (tap X on 1:1 icon) you get a more precise motion set with the moves (better for sculpting I guess)