Dreams "How Do I?" šŸ¤”

Dreams is jam-packed full of incredible tools to let your imagination run wild. There are many things to discover and learn. If you have a question about anything in Dreams, here’s the place to search for answers. If you can’t find what you’re looking for, then you’re in the right place to post your question.

1. How to make a character select screen

This is a bit of a weird one. I am needing to make a character select screen. A way to pick how many players, 2-4. Everyone would be using one controller as it is turn based.

https://feedback.indreams.me/forums/917434-dreams-how-do-i/suggestions/40353004-make-it-switch-to-next-player

This link is to a mess of info in case you wanna read a bunch of nonsense that's pretty well figure out by now about the game and how it will work for reference. Warning: It's a lot of reading.

I have no idea where to start with this. I thought about making different scenes for 2 players, 3, and 4 but thenā€¦

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Sign in with: Sony Entertainment Network
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Weā€™ll send you updates on this idea

9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  2. Make it switch to next player

This is a bit of a weird one I think and yes I'm at trying something different again and of course I gotta run into issues and not know what I'm doing.

So anyhow...... I'm trying to make a trivia game. My thought is to make a puppet move as sort of a playing piece whenever you get a correct answer. I made one trivia question as a test and wired the correct response to a microship which has my "move a block away" logic in it. Mission accomplished, If I answer correctly I have it move one block ahead,ā€¦

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  3. How do I animate a whip?

How do I animate a whip?

I want my character to have an Indiana Jones style whip but I canā€™t figure out how to make him do the actual whip action.

Iā€™ve created 3 different sculptures of the same whip, each in a different position to perform the whip motion. I thought if I could somehow key frame one to the next and then fade them, it would look decent. (Although, even if I did that, I would still have no idea how to allow him to equip it and have it attached to him to use in different locationsā€¦

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  4. Camera jumps Positions Between Timeline and Controller

So I'm creating a demolition derby style game which starts off with a camera timeline giving a quick couple of shots of the arena before zooming in on the players vehicle before the controller is activated. Once the timeline is finished, a destroyer destroys the cameras used in the timeline while a separate signal activates the player controller. The problem is for a very brief moment after the timeline ends the camera will shoot over to the center of the arena and then make its way back to the vehicle. This only seems to occur in the dream version (notā€¦

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  5. How do I make it so when you push the L stick diagonally it does something

How do I make it so when you push the L stick diagonally it does something I know how to do it up and down bu I don't know how to do it diagonally

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Auto reeling?

How do I making an object reel in as close as it can when I grab it? I've seen one game where it worked, but can't figure out how they did it. I feel limited in my bowling game because the ball feels like it's hanging from a rubber band in my hand, rather than feeling like I'm actually holding a bowling ball, and that makes it really difficult to throw properly. If I can reel it in automatically, it helps.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Walking backwards

I'm working on a dragging animation. The character has to be able to walk backwards whenever he's dragging something, no matter what direction. Any simple way to do this?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  8. Type in purple text

There has been a trend going on for the past several days, where dreamers' texts have a purple font.

For those that do not know already, you can type in "<clue>", and the text cursor will turn purple, and everything you type afterwards will be in purple font.

Now go add some spice to your comments, and not make this esoteric!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. How do I multiple Signal Receiver

If I have 2 or more signal receivers / transmitters sending different values using the same name. Because they need to be cloned. One is outputting 1.00 and the other is 3.00 and since both of the receivers need to be overlapping. The resulting signal isn't multiplied. It's actually in between so a 1.50

So is there a way to have it multiple sending a 4.00 instead of the 1.50?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  10. I'm trying to make a 2D character

I don't know how to make a flat 2D sick figure that can only move left and right and don't know how to do it!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Puppetā€™s lumberingness while running

I tried changing puppet lumberingness but when it runs it automatically sets the value back to its default. Is it because running is considered different from walking? If so, itā€™s strange that you canā€™t adjust MMā€™s auto running animation because running is such an important animation.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Making an elliptical orbit

What would be the best way to make a planet orbit a star in an ellipse? It should move like clockwork without straying from its path, so that I don't have to worry about planets colliding or something. I tried using connectors (a motor bolt and a piston), but they glitched out like they tend to do (maybe making the objects not movable could fix it, but I didn't remember to check...) Has anyone found a good way to do this?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. players keep hit like on a dream within a dream and not the main dream itself.

i have a game dream that contains a scene and another dream but people keep liking and putting comments on the second dream when its only a package of scenes.

how do i force the player to only be able to hit like and comment on the main game dream?

everyhing within the game dream is always invisible and unlisted.

its like if i have 10 scenes in 1 dream map people keep liking any of the scenes and commenting on them but not the game dream itself when i wanna force all likes and comments to one location beingā€¦

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. How do I prevent a ball (moveable) to get stuck or go thru a wall with enough speed (obstacle non moveable or moveable).

In my pinball game, at times the ball is thrust at high speeds and should bounce off obstacles. But no matter what, with enough speed the ball happens to go sometimes through the wall/obstacle (or get stuck in it).

I tried to boost the physics of the ball and of the obstacle to the max, I also added invisible wall on top of it, but no way...

Is this inherent in the physics engine of Dreams? Do you developed tricks to get around this "bug" of the engine ?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. How to adjust the scale of what the player views in VR ?

In VR, the default scale 1:1 is too large for my game (my pinball table appears as a giant table, much larger than in real life) So I would like to simply change the default scale, without changing any sculpts sizes. But I can't figure how to do that... and I didn't see anything on the web that points me in the right direction.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Connectors don't connect

I attached a new face to my puppet and added it to a group and such but 2 connectors for some reason just don't connect. I've been searching in game tutorials and YT tutorials but I just cant find it anywhere.

As you cab see on the attachment, the connector has a red line. I can't for the life of me find anything about this.

Does anybody know how to connect those connectors to the puppet/head?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Making a dress on a puppet

So I'm making a character that wears a kinda dress/cloth or whatever, but how do I make it like it actually moves while the puppet is walking? Now it's a solid object that doesn't move at all while walking. So it actually looks like a dress?

Thank you so much in advance, I'm new to dreams!

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Pair of sculpts with multiple motor bolts

I notice that one is allowed to have a pair of sculpts connected with two motor bolts. The first is normal the second all blue. I am guessing there is some hidden magical features here in using the second but I canā€™t seem to figure out what. You canā€™t change the behavior by powering one of the connectors off (thinking keyframes in timeline). So what can one do special with a pair connected with multiple connectors?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Multicolored text in titles?

I have seen some creations where the title uses multiple colors. What is the markup for this?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Advanced Mover Appears to Be Ignoring Local Space Setting

Trying to determine if this is user error or a bug.

I have a scene I'm working on where 1 item is teleported to the other. It teleports and aligns itself to the correct orientation that I have set using the matching tag.

However, the next step is having the user move this object. I would like it to move along its Y axis LOCALLY, so I have turned that setting on in the Advanced Mover tweak menu. Unfortunately, though, it still insists on moving up and down in the GLOBAL Y axis.

Is this an issue with grouping organization?ā€¦

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Dreams "How Do I?" šŸ¤”

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base