Dreams "How Do I?" šŸ¤”

Dreams is jam-packed full of incredible tools to let your imagination run wild. There are many things to discover and learn. If you have a question about anything in Dreams, here’s the place to search for answers. If you can’t find what you’re looking for, then you’re in the right place to post your question.

1. Tapering Geometry

I am trying to sculpt some architecture and need the ability to taper columns (they could be circular, square or hexagonal in section) so that they are broader at the base than at the top.

Is there a way to do this in Dreams?

I have tried doing the interim cloning trick to fake it using very thin pieces but the overall look of the face is too rough.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Sign in with: Sony Entertainment Network
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Weā€™ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  2. why no update for more than 4 months now?

even tho it will be released next month the game still has many annoying bugs and MM must have some fixes by now so why do Dreams players have to keep playing a bugged game until release date? why can't we have an update once a week i rather get a lot of small updates than just 2 or 3 in total, no one should suffer bugs when MM has bug fixes that they can release but wont.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  3. Use logic to set imp's position.

I'm working on a game that uses the Imp within the game, but I'd like to use logic to instantly reset the imp back to center, or to a specific spot on the screen. I was wondering if there's currently a way to do this. The idea is that the player can toggle between normal aiming for the shooter, or go with motion controls, where it uses the imp to move the crosshair. But whenever I toggle between them, the imp always tends to start off the motion controls away from the center point. The least I want to beā€¦

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. getDirection (I need help!)

Hi dreamers! I want to figure out if a NPC is moving towards a wall by using the Laser Scopeā€˜s target orientation and since (1,0,1) could mean the wall goes along the X- as well as the Z-axis Iā€™m having a hard time implementing an operator. I tried to describe my dilemma on the attached image. Thank you in advance!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. How do I use text displayer on round surfaces?

I'd like to place a text displayer on a cylinder but even if surface snap is used the text stays 2d and it fits in the center of the text but the edges are not attached to the surface.

A bad workaround would be to place single letters but this is a lot of work and with the gadgets not hidden you easily lose the overview.

Is there any way to "bend" the text displayer?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Multiplayer Respawn

I have a 2 player game, where each character has attacks they can do damage against the other player. When a character dies, I want them to automatically respawn in ther original position. Currently, when a character dies, I would have to go to edit mode, then back to play mode for it to refresh and respawn the puppet. Any ideas of how to force this respawn all in play mode in real time?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  7. Hey! How do I remove a single scoreboard score? Someone exploited my creation to get the highest score :/

Hello! Someone used the level select in dreams to skip to the ending, therefore they beat everyone to the #1 on the scoreboard. This was for "The Pilgrim"

Is there any way to remove this single entry from the scoreboard, or do I have to wipe the entire thing?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Can you turn off vibration while dragging an object?

I have a platform attached to a slider that is intended to be moved by the imp. I set the slider friction to 99 so the characters would not clip through while being dragged, and the controller vibrates while dragging the object. Is there a way to turn this off?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  9. Keep the looseness amount

Ever since I have used Dreams, there is one thing that drives me crazy. The looseness amount keeps changing automatically, no matter how many times I enter edit shape mode. All I am doing right now, is making a rock with realistic detail. I'm not exiting my sculpt or anything like that, but I enter edit shape at the beginning, lower my looseness amount to the lowest setting (pulling down), then I attempt to build my rock. Every 3 seconds I have to reenter edit shape mode to pull it back down because it constantly snaps back to its defaultā€¦

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  10. I'm trying to make a game, how to start, what not to do.

I'm either going to make a game or movie, where do I start
    throw it at me with what I should do now.
    What is best thing to learn?
    I am an newbie and need someone to school me.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Premade voice dictionary

I have an idea for if you don't have a microphone for voice acting:
    A set of premade voices you can choose from. Or something like a narrator. With a lever to change the pitch.
    This would make it easier.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Anybody make an effective path finding enemy?

Currently the way I do this for my game is I lay down a line of tags over the environment and when the enemy get close to one of the tags the tag gets disabled for a short moment and then the enemy moves to the next before eventually reaching your location. This is the best possible method I could achieve and take in consideration I'm no logic expert. I found this method to work good enough, but is a pain in the butt to pull off and still weak in certain situations.

Does any one know of a betterā€¦

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  13. Sometimes my game starts on the wrong level.

I have ā€œlocked the other levels until discoveredā€ and only entrances to these levels comes from previous levels. Despite this when I hit play, sometimes it starts at level 2 or 3. The game is Amyā€™s Easter Egg Hunting Extravaganza, if someone could have a look, or if you know why I would appreciate it greatly.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Is there a way to have a set walking speed?

My character has a custom walk animation. I want it so that no matter how hard you're pushing the left stick the movement speed remains the same. How would I do this?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. why can't teleporter logic teleport using a XYZ input numbers without a tag?

why do teleporters need a tag? i just wanna input: X=0 Z=0 Y=90 and the teleporter would teleport to that location in the scene without tags.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. how to i rotate a joint in a FK motion accurately without activating IK movement when using motion controllers

Just trying to figure out a way to rotate a joint without accidently moving the joint due to motion controls.

I normally rotate and twist my primary motion control to activate a rotation on a joint, but the joint always moves with an IK motion because motion controls mean there is always movement in some degree with our hand, even when trying to be still.

Is there a better way with the motion controls?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Get sound levels of pitched up sound

I'm using the envelope output of my sound files for mouth animations. However, some of my voices are pitched up +3 (with Vari-Speed turned on because I don't like the distortion when it's off), and for those the envelope doesn't play in sync to the actual sound. The envelope output seems to ignore the pitch tweak

Firstly, is this a bug or intentional?

Secondly, is there a way to get the actual levels of a currently playing sound instead of the envelope? Or a way to convert it so it's sped up in the same way as my actual sounds?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. How do i make the assembly menu visible in game?

How can I make the assembly menu and gadgets visible during gameplay?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Racing Kart Opponent AI and Racing Game Design

Trying to figure out how to design opponents for a racing game. Another post here mentioned using laser
    scopes to direct their movement away from obstacles/vehicle and towards pick-ups. I think I can figure out how to automate the weapons system using trigger zones. The one thing I'm struggling with is how to direct the opponents to stay on the track in one direction. I could use a randomizer and record different racing strategies that reset after each lap but I was hoping for something a little more intelligent. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. How to temporary turn off time line after trigger hits

Hello Iā€™m making a pop up for a horror game, I have back ground sounds playing through out the game, once player hits trigger zone a jump scare noise plays however the jump scare noise plays with the back music in the game, how can I make it where when player hits trigger zone jump scare music in time line plays and disabled temporary back ground music until jump scare music is done, when I connect something to the time line power it always has it turned off, if I can set the time line to always stay powered onā€¦

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Dreams "How Do I?" šŸ¤”

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base